Okay, by now everyone knows about the “cold spell” we’ve been having here in AZ. Actually, I believe it’s been a fairly standard winter for the valley, other than those few days of upper 20s and 30s temps at night, which killed a lot of our trees. Enough about the weather.
Since it was cold the other day, I decided to create a warm comforting meal for the family. I always used to love chicken or turkey pot pie, so I thought, I’ll make a veggie pot pie! This time I jotted down on a piece of paper all the ingredients I used. For the seasonings, I will have to guesstimate here in the recipe; I will have to remember next time to measure it all out in measuring spoons. We have two family members visiting as guests, and they are not vegetarian. Actually, I’m the only one in this household who is vegetarian, so the look on their faces was that of “okay, well, I guess we’ll just wait and see what’s set before us . . . .”
I took my time and the result was well worth it. Every member of the family went back for seconds. The Veganishta was laughing with joy and wonder. I just had to take a picture of the “empty” pan when we all were finished filling our bellies and warming up on a chilly evening. Here is the recipe. Veganishta Veggie-Power Pot Pie
2. Saute for 5 minutes the vegetables in a mixture of the Earth Balance butter and olive oil in a large, deep frying pan or wok on medium-high heat
4. Pour the mushroom quinoa broth into the vegetables in the big pan
5. Bring to a slight boil and then just simmer on a low heat;
6. Add the seasoning and stir occasionally; then add the flour by sprinkling a little at a time while stirring so as to thicken the sauce; add the coconut milk also. Add a little more flour if need to the consistency you like for the sauce and color.
8. Layer several more sheets of filo dough over the mixture; then brush the top of all the filo with a combo of Earth Balance Butter and olive oil; place in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the filo is golden brown.
Hope it turns out as well for you as it did for The Veganishta! Enjoy.